Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Internet Tools

For this task, I decided to use the following site: http://centralops.net/co
I then tracerouted to curtin.edu.au and these were the results.

As I was doing this, I realized that the IP address for curtin.edu.au was 134.7.179.53.
The results I received from centralops was 20 hops in total in 245ms.


I've never used a tool such as traceroute before and it's quite facinating to see how connections can be made quickly to different locations. By looking at the results from centralops, it clearly shows where the connections were made and this shows how broad and deep the internet is.


FURTHER EXPLORATION:


We were also required to ping into the webct site and compare the time taken to ping from my computer and the net tools site (centralops.net). These were the results:


The time taken to ping from my computer to webct.curtin.edu.au [134.7.180.156] only took an average time of 85ms.


Whereas, it took an average time of 248ms from the centralops website.


From these results, it shows how the location is a major factor in the time taken to ping from one to another. Obviously it took less time from my computer since the distance needed to travel is much less than that of centralops.net. I believe the centralops website is located in America or somewhere overseas and since I'm located in Sydney, Australia, the distance and time taken is much less and faster than that of centralops. I expected these results since I'm in Australia whereas centralops is not.


Next, I tracerouted from my computer to curtin.edu.au [134.7.179.53] and these were the results:

There was a total of 12 hops in 87ms. Only 12 hops! Centralops.net took approximately 245ms with 20 hops. From these results, it shows how distance is an important factor. The further the distance, the more time it takes to make a connection. On the other hand, the shorter the distance, the less time it takes. This has been quite an interesting task!!

No comments: