Thursday, July 17, 2008

Module 4: Tools for Using the Web

  1. Adobe's pdf reader
    I already had this program downloaded and installed on my computer. This is a very useful program since there are many documents online that are created in pdf format.
  2. Flash/Shockwave Players
    I visited the Adobe website to see if I had Flash and Shockwave. It confirmed that I had Flash already installed but there was no sign of Shockwave. I then installed Shockwave immediately. I thought I had both on my computer but I guess I didn't! Now-a-days, many websites contain Flash images so it is important to have this.
  3. Media Players
    I already had all three media players (Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and Real Networks Real One) installed on my computer. I've used all three media players before and in my opinion, I prefer Quicktime and Windows Media Player! I rarely use Real One, but it is a media player that should be installed on all computers just in case you come across a Real Player file!
  4. Search Manager/Combiners
    I downloaded Copernic Meta for PC since I'm a Windows user! I've never used such a program before so this was something new to me. It was quite interesting to see how you could get so many search results from different search engines by using this one program. This seems like a useful tool when in need to search for lots of information!
  5. Bookmark Manager
    I downloaded and installed Bookmark Buddy for Windows. I've been aware of this program but I never decided to install it (I guess it's because I didn't feel the need for it). Using this Bookmark Manager program, it helps organize and keeps track of the sites visited.
  6. Offline Browser/Copier
    I didn't have either programs (WebCopier and PageSucker) installed on my computer so I decided to download PageSucker. This is a great program where you are able to save pages from websites so that it can be viewed without the internet. I guess this is a handy tool for the times when you are unable to gain access to the internet!

No comments: